Medi Hospice Fredericksburg & Northern Virginia Blog is designed to educate and inform the public about hospice options and services. Our Hospice serves the many cities and counties within the State of Virginia.

This Blog is dedicated to our wonderful hospice volunteers who contribute countless hours for free to make a difference in the lives of terminally ill patients.

Thursday, September 1, 2016

Creating Healthy Boundaries Part 2

I Know I’m Exceeding My Boundaries When…
• I become stressed over the situation.
• I can’t get the patient out of my mind.
• I feel like I want to control the situation.
• I begin talking to others outside of hospice about my patient and/or family.
• I feel like the patient or caregiver can’t make it without my assistance.
     • I begin changing personal   
        obligations to benefit
        patient/family needs.


    
 • I begin sharing personal problems/concerns with the patient/family.
AND
When volunteering with a patient/family becomes all consuming!

Other Boundary
Violations

• Inappropriate displays of emotions or
  physical contact.
• Pressure to maintain personal
  relationship after professional one ends.
• Desire to change ones beliefs to fit the patient/family.
• Doing personal favors outside of the plan of care.
• Giving or soliciting of funds.
• Disclosure of information regarding other members of the hospice team.
• Receiving expensive or inappropriate gifts.

To Maintain Your Boundaries

Ask Yourself…

• Do I know my role and limits?
• Whose needs am I meeting?
• Am I giving clear messages?
• Do I know when to say “no”?
• Do I know when to say “yes”?
• What would other members of my hospice team say?

 
For Maintaining 
Professional Boundaries

 Ensure your care is focused solely on 
the patient and families’ health and 
well being.

 Ensuring that you are there only 
as a volunteer (not a friend, 
neighbor, relative, etc.)

 Maintaining a proper appointment and visit system.

 Getting help for yourself when you are in a crisis.

 Consulting with your Volunteer Coordinator about 
difficult situations.

 Refraining from over familiarity. 


What if I am Feeling
Overwhelmed?

• Be upfront and honest about your feelings.
• Never take on a task that you don’t feel you can 
commit to.
• Let us know if you feel uncomfortable.
• Ask for staff support

When To Let Go After The Death Of Your Patient
Bereavement services begin immediately after the death of our patients.  Phone calls, letters, support groups and home visits are offered to the patient’s caregiver or survivor.  It IS appropriate however for the volunteer to:
Make a phone call to the family after the death.
Make a home visit after the death.
Attend the funeral OR watch over the house while the family attends the funeral and/or graveside services. 

    It should be understood at that point bereavement services will take over.


When you help, you see life as weak.
When you fix, you see life as broken.
When you serve, you see life as whole.
Fixing and helping may be work of the ego,
but serving is the work of the soul.
Rachel Naomi Remen












No comments:

Post a Comment